Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Democracy in Lebanon
 Political Forum
 Gebran Tueini and the Lebanese Conundrum...
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Truth Squad

114 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:12:58 AM  Show Profile
I have opted to remain silent over the past few weeks hoping that politics would take their course in Lebanon but the assassination of Gebran Tueini was the hair that broke the camel's back.

It is no longer acceptable for some of us to remain silent or continue in their archaic divisive rhetoric when one of us gets killed, especially when this one is Gebran Tueini.

A number of issues present themselves and warrant an in-depth perusal:

1) The mass graves left by the Syrian occupation army underneath its barracks in Lebanon. In addition to trying to silence Gebran’s free voice, Syria and its allies in Lebanon wanted to detract the attention and diffuse the momentum that was building around these mass graves recently unearthed underneath former barracks of the Syrian army. The mass graves were discovered as the cabinet was debating an International Tribunal in the assassination of Hariri. Gebran Tueini became increasingly vocal about this issue, particularly in his last interview. He must have stricken a hot wire.

2) Hezbollah.
a) Definition: an armed group financed by Ahmadi Najad and supported by Bashar Assad. Its leadership has taken hostage the whole Shiite community in Lebanon, willingly or otherwise, and is trying to preempt any Lebanese attempts at fighting terrorism or at reinforcing independence from Syria.
b) Relations with the Shiite Community: it is no longer convincing to separate Hezbollah’s politics from the aspirations of the Shiite community at large in Lebanon. The shocking solidarity of the Lebanese Shiia with Hezbollah, the declaration of the Highest Shiite Council meeting on December 15, 2005 and Berri’s acquiescence to Hezbollah’s leadership, lead us to believe that in fact Hezbollah is the porte parole of the Shia in Lebanon.
c) Goals and Demands: Perhaps a break-away Shiite Republic in the South and the Bekaa Valley is what Hezbollah wants. Or maybe it is just protecting the flank of Syria, even if all Lebanese were to be humiliated, oppressed, violated and killed by Bashar Assad's regime. Hezbollah was given enough time to “Lebanonise” itself and its decision-making process by joining with the Shiite Community, the rest of Free Lebanon. It opted to stay allied with Bashar Assad and its agents in Lebanon against the independence movement and against all forms of progress.

3) The Aounist Tayyar: Here I admit I am perplexed. As someone who participated in the demonstrations of the late 80s to the “People’s Palace” in Baabda and to Bkerki and the French embassy and as someone who stood with Gebran Tueini in the demonstration to the US embassy, I ask the Tayyar Youths of today the following:
a) What do you have in common with the Frangieh's Marada? Is it their alliance with Syria? or the admiration of Slaymeh?
b) What do you have in common with the Syrian Nationalist Party (Kawmi)? Is it their Syrian identity? or their hate of an independent Lebanon?
c) What do you have in common with Hezbollah? For God’s sake do not tell me the cause of the Islamic Resistance in Lebanon.
If General Aoun and your current leadership finds it expedient to ally itself with these groups to gain a few insignificant student seats at this university or that college, or to selfishly secure Aoun's ascension to the presidency, you should know better than that. Do not allow yourself to be used to lend credibility, legitimacy or a Lebanese cover to these groups. Do not allow your movement to become the Trojan horse of Syrian strategy in Lebanon. I am not sure what to say about the General anymore.
Genral Aoun:
Is becoming President of Lebanon worth sacrificing Gebran Tueini? and maybe all of Lebanon?
Is it worth bringing Syria back to Lebanon?
I don’t want to believe that you fooled me Mr. Aoun in 1989 when you promised me "Liberation" only to deliver defeat and humiliation. You had no strategy then except to ally yourself with Saddam Hussein.
Today you seem to be allying yourself with all the wrong guys again from Hezbollah to the Marada; not that the latter are worth mentioning twice in my essay but you leave me no choice.

4) The March 14th movement. Or what is left of it. Please, let go of the Syrian dummies and acquire some balls. Lead without fear and be bold. If Hezbollah and Amal want to stay out, fine; let them be out and you govern without them by the constitution. Otherwise give the power to Hezbollah and Amal and let them govern with Syria. Give them their chance to fail. Allow the myth to be put to the test. Otherwise they will always want to be Syrians.

Let us all be reminded that the first Republic was brought about despite a major Sunni objection to independence from Syria. It took 15 years of war that ended by conceding executive powers to the Sunnis and it took 30 years of occupation to give the Sunnis a martyr, Hariri, worthy of their tears and sorrow for them to revolt against Syria and spearhead the independence movement of 2005.

Maybe if you give power to the Shiites today, you will spare us the coming 15-year war and perhaps when Syria kills Hassan Nasrallah or Nabih Berri or whoever tickles the Shiite fancy, the Lebanese Shiites will join the Independence movement.

To Gebran Tueini's memory.

The Whip

42 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  09:54:00 AM  Show Profile
Lebanon or Syria: this is the question?

Obviously we cannot have both together and not side by side. And I do not differentiate between the Assad regime and the Syrian people. For I have yet to see a single Syrian take to the streets of Damascus or Beirut, or Cairo, or Jedda, or Paris, or Moscow, or Washington and denounce the Syrian regime's actions in Lebanon.
They want us to believe that in a nation of 20 Million there is not a single one sheb3an Halib Emmo? Not a single person courageous enough to say to the Assad Regime ENOUGH?
Enough atrocities in Lebanon?
Stop abusing the Lebanese people?
If they can't do it in Syria, can't they do it abroad?

I call upon every Lebanese person to be vigilant and watchful and careful of any Syrian in Lebanon whether he or she is a worker, an employee or even a relative. Be careful because they all work for Bashar.
You do not have to harm them but stay away from them and keep an eye on their activities.
You cannot trust the Syrians.
Do not let their children play with yours. Syria is our arch ennemy and it must be eradicated from existance if anindependent Lebanon is to survive.
Syria, the regime and the people have chosen to live by terrorism. They shall die by terrorism.

It is time to start the retaliatory attacks on all pro-Syrian interests and individuals in Lebanon and in Syria: from Hezbollah to the Baath, to the Kawmi, to the Marada, until there is no single pro-Syrian voice in Lebanon and from Bashar to his army to his intelligence services until all Syrians say Amen..

Moderator, I beg you don't cut me off. Believe me this is a war of survival: to be or not be, and we cannot be with Syria.

Yes we can debate all we want our internal issues but to have a group of us advocating our annhilation or annexation is non-negotiable.

To my friends in the TAYYAR, I wish I can take my vote for the General back.
I hope this will be communicated to the General.
I am sorry but the FPM no longer represents what I stand for or my aspirations. I cannot fathom you my friends who were beaten and tortured day and night by Syrians and their allies, today allying yourself with these people. They are the ennemy.

To my other Lebanese friends, do not forget Gebran Tueini, do not forget Samir Kassir, do not forget Rafik Hariri and do not forget the mass graves. Do not forget 30 years of occupation, do not forget the martyrs, the heros handicapped by the Syrians, do not forget May Chidiac, Marwan Hamade, and the hundred nameless heros maimed by Syria.

We shall never forget. Join me in saying: WE SHAL NEVER FORGET...
Go to Top of Page

Samir

Lebanon
33 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  09:17:30 AM  Show Profile
All I know is one thing is that Hezbollah is my primary suspect in the assassination of Gebran Tueini.
Their attittude towards Syrian crimes in Lebanon point to one thing and one thing only they have endorsed or executed them all.
Three weeks after the Hariri assassination, Hezbollah orchestrated its huge rally in Beirut (March 8th) to thank Syria for what it did in Lebanon, including killing Hariri. They raised that infamous banner saying THANK YOU SYRIA.
They kept defending Syria despite all indications that Assad masterminded all these assassinations.
After the Tueini assassination, they distributed candy and baklawa and rushed to protect Syria. They boycotted the Seniora cabinet because it was about to ask for an international tribunal and expand the investigations and that may implicate Syria.
So are there any doubts that Hezbollah is behind all the assassinations.
I am surprised he was protected by the Mehlis report so far.
Go to Top of Page

Truth Squad

114 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  10:57:28 AM  Show Profile
I wish to thank General Aoun for his words in today's Press Conference (December 17, 2005).
I would like to make one thing clear:
My words were accusatory of the Tayyar only as far as giving cover to the pro-Syrian groups and their politics in Lebanon (Hezbollah and others) but never of being behind the assassination of anyone.
Go to Top of Page

Pietro

Lebanon
64 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  3:37:04 PM  Show Profile
This conference is the beginning of Michel Aoun's political death...at last.

"Je suis l'État. L'État est Moi." - Louis XVI
"Je suis plus fort qu'un président mon ami... Je suis président et six ministres!" - Michel Aoun, 1990
Go to Top of Page

Gisèle

Lebanon
36 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  09:00:01 AM  Show Profile
I do not understand, what did the general Aoun do that was wrong for you to attack him?
All he said is that it is the government responsibility to protect its citizens and with all my respect to PM Seniora, his government has failed: Six months in office and it has failed to build a national consensus, prevent terrorism from taking our best and did nothing except to wait for the UN or the US to punish Syria.
I am all for punishing Syria but the Seniora cabinet is not doing anything to achieve that except wait for the Holy Spirit.
They have lost the initiative.
Between waiting for the Mehlis Reports and wasting opportunity after the other to make change, innocent people and great leaders are killed every day.
At least his interior minister, gloomy Sabe3 should have presented his resignation over the assassination of Gebran Tueini.
In the recent months, we had attacks on the vice PM and minister of defense, Mr. Elias Murr, thank God he survived; Sabe3 did nothing.
There was the attack on May Chidiac, the anchor of Sabah El-Kheir, the sweet word of truth and the courage of convictions, and Sabe3 did nothing.
This week, terrorism took one our best, Gebran Tueini, and Sabe3 does not even come on TV to say a word of sympathy.
Is this guy idiot, ignorant or incapable? In any case he should not remain in office.
And Mr. Seniora, as his PM, takes the blame for that.

quote:
Originally posted by Pietro

"Je suis plus fort qu'un président mon ami... Je suis président et six ministres!" - Michel Aoun, 1990

General Aoun said nothing yesterday that many if not most of us have been saying for sometime now.
1) Yes he said there are three main blocs in parliement: Mustaqbal and its allies (Jumblat, LF, Kataeb, and a few here and there from the Bekaa and North Lebanon), The Amal-Hezbollah bloc (I don't know what they call themselves) and the Reform and change bloc (Tayyar and his allies). For those in the LF who felt ignored, you will be represented on the table of negotiations by whomever your leadership agrees on with Mr. Hariri and Mr. Jumblat. That's why Pietro you should not feel left out.
2) Yes he said the media was ignoring his bloc and frankly they were.
Have you been watching the Future Media (all of them) or the LBC until yesterday. They were all incessently ignoring Aoun's activities totally and if they come across, it would be in the late part of the news after they would cover every insignificant story in town from going through the activity of single MPs and their words (most of them redundant) to promoting Samir Geagea (who is in the business of political analysis and philosophical debate). I admit to you I do not like Samir Geagea nor I understand what his agenda is. And I became sick and tired of "his holiness" pontificating to me everynight on the only news channel I am used to watch: LBC. In what role he is doing it? I do not understand. As the leader of the LF, he has my respect, but is the LBC now the LF TV? He is not even a deputy in parliament (his wife is yes and surprisingly she lost her voice), he is not a Cabinet minister. So he is speaking in the only capacity of head of a party or a fromer militia whose MPs are allied with the Mustaqbal bloc (nothing wrong with that) and whose positions are reflected by the hundred daily declarations given by their MPs and by a cabinet and a PM. If the Mustaqbal bloc is preping Geagea for Christian leadership, I will not accept that. Before you say it to me, I have stopped watching LBC and the future. My only news sources, until Gebran was assassinated were Annahar for national news and the Tayyar site for Aoun news (for those who do not know me, I am NOT a member of the FPM).

quote:
Originally posted by Truth Squad
Genral Aoun:
Is becoming President of Lebanon worth sacrificing Gebran Tueini? and maybe all of Lebanon?
Is it worth bringing Syria back to Lebanon?
I don’t want to believe that you fooled me Mr. Aoun in 1989 when you promised me "Liberation" only to deliver defeat and humiliation. You had no strategy then except to ally yourself with Saddam Hussein.
Today you seem to be allying yourself with all the wrong guys again from Hezbollah to the Marada; not that the latter are worth mentioning twice in my essay but you leave me no choice.

I am not defending General Aoun, he can do well for himself. But I think your words are harsh and untrue.
We all know he did not fool us in 1989. If everyone is a traitor and an agent for an outsider, GMA is not. He is probably the only pure Lebanese vintage. His principles were and remain right in 1989 and today (look around you, you see all of them advocating 15 years late what he was saying then). Some think he made a tactical mistake in 1989-90, others think he did not compromise his principles; I will let History be the judge (if it is written by professional historians).
Today, he is reaching out directly to Amal-Hezbollah as the leader of an independent bloc in Parliament. Nothing is wrong with that. You can do it his way, or stand behind Hariri and Jumblat and let them do it (the others way) or ignore Amal-Hezbollah (and that could lead to partition and war).
On the other hand, he wants to be in good terms with the Hariri bloc, but they have vetoed him time and again and gratuitously before he even announced for President. Remember Marwan Hamade's words a few months ago: "we will not replace a general by another general", remember also PM Seniora when asked about his preference for president: " he said a young, intelligent and visionary leader"; I have utmost respect for both men (Hamade and Seniora) but their words may be construed as laced with poison and bad intentions. I would not mind them if they came from Abu Fa3our or Walid 3ido, but not Marwan Hamada or Fouad Seniora.
GMA was clear about it yesterday, their approach is tha of Judas. At the level of the leadership, they kiss each other on the cheeks but when it comes to implementation on the grounds, they try to screw him and his Tayyar. They need to learn some honesty from GMA.

Respectfully to all.

Go to Top of Page

Pietro

Lebanon
64 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  09:22:50 AM  Show Profile
Gisèle,

I bid you pardon but I don’t have time to read the totality of your post and elaborate a reply. I came to find it useless to debate Michel Aoun because whoever is defending him is too mislead to come back to reason…and I’m much occupied at the moment.

I’m just thanking God the Lebanese Christian intelligentsia today is totally refusing the Neo-Nerón, and mainly supporting the 14th of March alliance.
I believe and pray that soon enough Aoun’s popularity will be restricted to those hurt by Samir Geagea between 1986 and 1991…

Anyway, I just scanned quickly your reply and so I read the part where you mentioned my name: “That’s why Pietro you should not feel left out.” after referring to the LF. I really wonder how you made up that illusive link.

As for attacking Michel Aoun, you took it as an attack while I was quoting Louis XVI and Michel Aoun without commenting at all.

Go to Top of Page

Jean

Lebanon
50 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  3:44:50 PM  Show Profile
quote:

You do not consider this wishful thinking an attack?
quote:
Originally posted by Pietro I’m just thanking God the Lebanese Christian intelligentsia today is totally refusing the Neo-Nerón, and mainly supporting the 14th of March alliance.
Who might the Lebanese Christian intelligentsia be? Please do no tell me it is Samir Geagea and Amine Gemayyel for then the phrase "Lebanese Christian intelligentsia" would become an oximoron.
Pietro, with all due respect to your intelligence, you are the one who seems narrowly squeezed in your political christianism. I too do not have the time to debate you whether it is right or wrong to build a nation on such premises.
I will only pray for God to enlighten you.
The Peace of the Lord be with you.
With all my love,
Jean.

Go to Top of Page

Gisèle

Lebanon
36 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  4:01:19 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Gisèle,
I bid you pardon but I don’t have time to read the totality of your post and elaborate a reply. I came to find it useless to debate Michel Aoun because whoever is defending him is too mislead to come back to reason…and I’m much occupied at the moment.
For a seemingly intelligent and thorough person, you appear hasty and unable to focus.
quote:
I’m just thanking God the Lebanese Christian intelligentsia today is totally refusing the Neo-Nerón, and mainly supporting the 14th of March alliance.
It is not new. These so-called Lebanese Christians that you support are a minority elected mostly by non-Christians. So while your argument may have been valid had it been in a national framework, it is not convincing as a sectarian one.
quote:
I believe and pray that soon enough Aoun’s popularity will be restricted to those hurt by Samir Geagea between 1986 and 1991.
Dream on!... This is what they told you before the elections.
quote:
Anyway, I just scanned quickly your reply and so I read the part where you mentioned my name: “That’s why Pietro you should not feel left out.” after referring to the LF. I really wonder how you made up that illusive link..
I kept my reply to you short to accomodate your attention span and your busy schedule.
Go to Top of Page

Pietro

Lebanon
64 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  4:04:23 PM  Show Profile
Amen.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Forum for Democracy in Lebanon © Democracy in Lebanon Go To Top Of Page